Slingsby's Wild Coast Map
SLINGSBY'S WILD COAST TOURING MAP
The Wild Coast is a wilderness paradise, strewn with natural wonders. Over one hundred lagoons thread this romantic coast, pristine beaches await fishermen, surfers and holidaymakers; mighty waterfalls plunge directly into the sea, rivers gouge deep secret valleys into this heartland of South Africa’s history. Birthplace of Nelson Mandela, this extraordinary landscape is where visions were dreamed, battles fought, ships came to dramatic ends.
Our full-relief map covers, at a scale of 1:200 000, the great 300km sweep of the Transkei Wild Coast, from East London in the south to Port Edward in the north. It covers the whole area from the coast to the N2 as far north as Mthatha, including the mighty Bawa Falls, the unbelievable Collywobbles, and the Mandela Museum at Qunu. The complex geography of the Wild Coast has always made access difficult – this is the map that has been designed to make exploration possible.
Special navigation features include -
- All roads from National Highways to minor gravel roads
- Ten classifications that indicate the quality of each road, helping you to plan your route
- Distances clearly shown between road-junctions
- GPS coordinates for every road-junction
- Specific landmarks in a land where road-signs are few and far between. These landmarks include schools, clinics, stores, radio masts and all the police stations, with their telephone numbers
The map also shows -
- All tourism accommodation, as well as the telephone numbers of the recommended members of the Wild Coast Holiday Association, and some selected others of note
- A large range of facilities from hiking opportunities to horse riding, mountain biking, surfing, fishing etc.
- Nearly one hundred shipwrecks, many with brief notes about what happened there
- The size of the catchments of the major rivers, as well as the heights of selected waterfalls.
Also included are -
- Four enlarged inset maps of Port St Johns, Coffee Bay, Kei Mouth and Morgan Bay
- An inset map of the popular Jikeleza Route near East London
- Other insets indicate the main routes from the N2 to the coastal resorts.
For safety's sake there is also a detailed diagram of how to view the extraordinary, 142 metre-high Magwa Falls.
- Scale 1:200 000 (5cm = 10km)
- contours at 20m intervals
- 320x840 full colour map in plastic sleeve
- Printed on WATERPROOF and TEAR RESISTANT material
- The map has a GPS-compatible one-minute Long/Lat grid.